Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ditch the Pancake Mix and DIY in 3 Minutes!

So I want to preface this recipe with the fact that the person who I've personally seen eat more pancakes than anybody else in my life, my sister, gave it the nod of approval by grabbing another from the stack.

I own a Managing Company that owns and operates a handful of restaurants, so family dinners can be quite tough to manage some days. As a result breakfast has become our family sit down meal in our household. The one thing the kids constantly ask for is pancakes and with this recipe I gladly oblige due to its ease and lack of dishes.<< Mostly that.

There was a time when we would purchase the big bag of mix and add egg, milk and oil and be on our merry way, but many years ago when we moved to eating a far less processed diet I started working on this organic homemade recipe and I'm excited to finally share.

I'm going to separate the wet and dry mix recipes so if you want you can pre-mix or bulk mix the dry ahead of time. I will also put an idea for pre-mixing at the end.

Prep Time: 3 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes

Ingredients: (10-12 pancakes)
 
-Dry Mix
1C   Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
3/4tsp Baking Soda
3Tbs Unrefined Sugar
3/4tsp Pink Himalayan Salt

-Wet Mix
3/4C Almond Milk
1 Egg
2Tbs White Vinegar (Trust me on this one. It's key and every review of my pancakes is better when I add it)
2Tbs Butter Melted

If anyone is interested in the vegan version let me know and I will post it for you. It's great as well but my family really loves butter.

Directions: 



-Mix all dry ingredients together with a whisk or fork. (A whisk does a better job of aeration and mixing)
-Heat your skillet to about 350 F




-Melt your butter in a separate dish.
-Mix all wet ingredients with a whisk making sure the egg is well beaten and the mix is nice and frothy.



-Slowly pour and whisk the DRY ingredients into the Wet ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
(Always pour dry into wet. It prevents clumps and unmixed product from sticking to the bowl.)
Let the mixture sit  for about a minute to allow the baking soda and vinegar to create carbon dioxide. This makes for nice fluffy pancakes.

-I like slightly crispy edges on my pancakes so I melt a little bit of Coconut oil on my skillet and let it get hot while I wait.
-Pour the pancake mixture onto the hot skillet and wait until the pancakes begin to bubble on the top before flipping them. (About 2.5 minutes)


-Flip the pancakes and butter the tops while the bottoms cook.
-Remove the pancakes from the skillet and serve. Easy Right? As they should be.


Pre-Mixing:





-For bulk mixing use 1 1/2C loosely measured dry mix for each batch you wish to make.
-Something I like to do for pre-mixing is use a 1 pint Ball Mason Jar. It fits one batch perfectly and they stack great in the cabinet for easy access.

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy these and never ever find yourself buying a premix again.

No comments:

Post a Comment