Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Please, stop eating red sauce from a jar.

Look I get it, We've pretty much all been there, It's getting late and you still need to feed the masses that occupy your house. And if you're like me, you are most likely outnumbered by singular digit aged occupants. So you go to your easy go to's that everyone will eat, right? For most people spaghetti and sauce is certainly one that fits the bill. I mean it can get much easier than boiling some noodles and heating up a jar of sauce. But what if I told you that you could ditch the jar, save some money and get a much better product in less than 5 minutes? This red sauce is so easy to make that we now joke about ever buying another jar or can of "spaghetti sauce" in our house and our kids devour it. It also has the benefit of being vegan if that's important to you. 
Prep Time: 2 Minutes 
Cook Time" 3 Minutes plus as long as it takes to boil your pasta.
Ingredients: (I prefer to use Cert. Organic products)
1 medium onion diced large
1 medium bell pepper diced large
2 cloves of garlic diced fine
2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 15oz Can Diced Tomatoes
1 15oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 Tbs Coconut Oil



Directions:

Start by beginning to boil your water for your pasta.

In a 4qt sauce pan. Melt 1Tbs of Coconut oil over high heat.
Add in diced onion and peppers and saute for about 2 minutes. (Remember color is important here. No color no flavor)

Stir in diced garlic

Pour in Diced Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce and stir.

Probably the number 1 issue with most red sauces is under seasoning. Add the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. I took this picture just to show you what it looks like when I season sauce. To some a little sprinkle is enough but if you want it to taste good it should be seasoned well. 

Bring the sauce to a boil and lower to medium heat to allow the sauce to simmer. 

Continue to let simmer until your pasta has finished cooking. It will need the entire duration of the cooking time to let the seasoning infuse into the sauce and vegetables. 

That's it!. I love this easy sauce recipe but more importantly I love that I can make this meal without too much thought since there is most likely one kid on my leg and one strapped to my back while the third is asking what she can eat from the next room. I love to see alterations and creativity. If you try this recipe and make alterations please leave a comment so myself and others may try it as well. 








No comments:

Post a Comment